Snub may help Prince reign: Titans - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Snub may help Prince reign: Titans

Laine Clark 28/04/2011 07:30:02 PM Comments (0)

Another snub by Queensland selectors may be just what Gold Coast halfback Scott Prince needs to reignite his NRL season, according to Titans boss Michael Searle.

Prince was a big name casualty when the Maroons named a 25-man squad for May 25's opening Origin clash at Suncorp Stadium, with selectors opting for Cooper Cronk as Test No.7 Johnathan Thurston's deputy.

Another glaring omission was Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen after he was leapfrogged by Ben Barba.

Exciting Bulldogs fullback Barba is one of four rookies in the squad.

The others were Broncos flyer Jharal Yow Yeh, in-demand Sydney Roosters prop Martin Kennedy and Canberra winger Daniel Vidot.

At 31, Prince may be tempted to think his representative days are numbered, especially with the halfback battling for consistency in a Titans side (13th; 2-5 record) on the slide.

But Searle hoped the omission would work in Prince's favour.

"This is good motivation to prove some of the knockers wrong," he told AAP.

"It is up to him to grab the bull by the horns in the next three or four weeks and prove to the selectors that he is worthy of consideration."

Titans coach John Cartwright had warned this week their disappointing season start may come back to bite them on the representative front, with a May 6 trans-Tasman Test also on the horizon.

But Searle said: "JT (Thurston) got selected in the side last year and the Cowboys were running last so I don't think it really matters how your team is going.

"At the end of the day selectors will pick a team that is best for the job at hand and the only thing Scott can control is his form in the next month.

"And I can think of no greater motivation than being left out of a 25-man squad."

Bowen has been snubbed despite helping revive the Cowboys this season.

Coincidentally, selectors opted for Barba - a player who asked Bowen for fullback tips during the Indigenous All Stars camp.

Vidot and Yow Yeh will be vying for a wing spot left vacant by Israel Folau's AFL defection and Lote Tuqiri's broken arm.

Kennedy is in the squad after being the centre of a tug of war between NSW and Queensland earlier this season.

Broncos backrower Corey Parker makes the squad six years after he last represented Queensland and Warriors forward Jacob Lillyman is back in the mix three years after his last taste.

"These are the guys who are performing well at the moment and are in the picture," Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris said.

"Obviously if we get a couple of injuries we might have to go outside the squad but as it stands now this is the group of players in the mix.

"By naming the squad today it provides an incentive for some of the players who have been on the fringe of Origin selection."

Queensland will be aiming for a sixth straight series win in captain Darren Lockyer's swansong year.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news