Malthouse queries disallowed goal - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Malthouse queries disallowed goal

By Roger Vaughan 14/05/2011 12:25:07 PM Comments (0)

Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse has described the controversial umpiring decision near the end of their AFL loss to Geelong as "the fastest whistle in history".

The decision meant a goal to Magpies onballer Scott Pendlebury was disallowed and the Cats won an absorbing match by three points, 8.17 (65) to 9.8 (62).

It was the reigning premiers' first loss since round 22 last year, while the Cats are the only unbeaten team after eight rounds under new coach Chris Scott.

With only a couple of minutes left and Geelong up by four points, a free was paid to Collingwood ruckman Cameron Wood about 50m out.

The ball had spilt clear immediately after the free and Pendlebury played on, kicking a massive goal.

But the ball was brought back and Wood's set shot did not make the distance.

Geelong were able to then able to clear the ball from defence and hang on for the win.

Soon after the match, AFL media manager Patrick Keane explained to journalists that the umpire had already blown time on before Pendlebury took his shot, meaning play could not continue.

Keane said the umpire had lost sight of the ball when he had blown his whistle.

Under AFL rules, it is supposed to be up to the team who have possession immediately after a free or mark whether they play on or not.

Malthouse said in his post-game media conference: "I thought we almost got over the line when Pendlebury popped that one through.

Asked if he was surprised the goal was not allowed, Malthouse added: "I thought that (advantage) was the rule, unless they've changed it again, I'm not sure.

"Clearly, to me, it was an advantage."

Keane then told Malthouse that time-on had been blown.

"Time had been blown? ... okay Patrick, that's the fastest whistle in history," Malthouse said.

"I'm not here to say right or wrong, all I'm saying is it's remarkable, given what we've been told - that players make up their minds.

"You stop or you go, we went, Geelong went, we kicked a goal, (but) it came back.

"Someone has clearly got it wrong - us, them or whatever."

At the end of his media conference, Scott also wanted to know why the AFL had commented so quickly after the match about the controversial incident.

Keane replied that umpires boss Jeff Gieschen had confirmed the circumstances to him.

In the third quarter of the match, Collingwood defender Alan Toovey was stretchered from the field after a sickening collision.

Toovey was running back with the flight of the ball when he cannoned into Cats ruckman Tom Hawkins, charging from the opposite direction.

The Collingwood defender was bleeding from the mouth and nose after the impact.

Toovey was taken to hospital, but later returned to the MCG.

The Magpies are hopeful his facial and chest injuries are not serious.

Geelong captain Cameron Ling was also taken off in the third term with a shoulder injury, while Collingwood ruck-forward Leigh Brown suffered a bruised calf.

Geelong captain Nick Maxwell (calf) and Cats defender Darren Milburn (back) were late withdrawals.

There were rumours before the match that Maxwell might have a lower-leg stress fracture, but Malthouse said that was wrong and is hopeful his skipper will be available for next Sunday's Etihad Stadium match against Adelaide.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news