Cats beat Magpies by 3 points in AFL - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Cats beat Magpies by 3 points in AFL

Roger Vaughan 14/05/2011 12:31:24 PM Comments (0)

Geelong confirmed they are Collingwood's main challengers so far this season with a gripping three-point win over the reigning AFL premiers at the MCG.

The Cats kicked five of the last seven goals in the match to win 8.17 (65) to 9.8 (62) on Friday night.

It was Collingwood's first loss since round 22 last year, while the Cats are the only unbeaten team after eight rounds under new coach Chris Scott.

Magpies defender Alan Toovey was stretchered from the field in the third term after a sickening collision with Cats ruckman Tom Hawkins.

Cats midfielder Joel Selwood was best afield in his 100th game with 28 possessions.

Selwood took a brilliant mark 11 minutes into the last term and then handballed to Steve Johnson, who goaled to put the Cats ahead.

After a booming goal from Jimmy Bartel, Cats key forward James Podsiadly marked about 20m out.

Podsiadly had missed two easy shots from virtually the same spot - one incredibly going out on the full - but he put this one through to put Geelong 10 points ahead.

A late goal to Dale Thomas, Collingwood's best player, reduced the margin to only two points but the Cats held on grimly in the last few minutes.

Scott Pendlebury also goaled on the run late in the game, but was the ball was called back to a Cameron Wood free kick and his shot made no difference.

Despite the abysmal weather and closed MCG car parks, 81,691 fans watched the this much-anticipated clash between the only unbeaten teams after seven rounds.

Midway through the third term, Toovey ran back with the flight of the ball and his head cannoned into the knees of Hawkins, who was charging the other way.

Play was held up for three minutes before Toovey was stretchered from the ground with blood coming out of his nose and mouth.

Cats captain Cameron Ling was also forced out of the match earlier in the third quarter when he hurt his right arm in a tackle.

The Magpies led by 11 points at halftime and extended that to 17, but were unable to build on the advantage.

With seconds left in the third term, Collingwood substitute Brad Dick caught fellow sub Allen Christensen high with a tackle.

Christensen kicked the crucial goal to get the Cats to within five points.

The Magpies had made Geelong pay for inaccuracy in the first half, with the scoreline 5.3 to 2.10 at the main break.

Apart from the high number of behinds, the Cats also had three set shots on goal through the second term and all went out on the full, Podsiadly the worst offender.

Collingwood were under early pressure when Geelong kicked two quick goals late in the first term to take a 14-point lead at the break.

But the reigning premiers steadied from early in the second term as Thomas dominated.

Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell (calf) and Cats defender Darren Milburn (back) were late withdrawals from the announced squads.

Toovey was taken to hospital after the impact to his head and chest, but the Magpies were hopeful post match that his injuries were not serious.

Magpies ruck-forward Leigh Brown also came off late in the match with a calf injury.

Geelong defender David Wojcinski will come under video review for a first-term incident where his leg made contact with Alan Didak.

The Collingwood forward was limping afterwards and had to leave the field, but was able to return and play out the match.

Soon after the match, the AFL explained that the Pendlebury goal after the Wood mark was not allowed because the umpire had lost sight of the ball and had already blown time on.

That meant Pendlebury's play on and running goal, which would have given the Magpies the lead, could not stand.

Under AFL rules, immediately after a free kick or mark it is supposed to be up to the players who have possession whether they play on or not.

AFL media manager Patrick Keane was at the post-game media conferences and Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse and Geelong counterpart Chris Scott questioned him about the incident.

Scott wanted to know why the AFL had commented so quickly about the controversial incident after the match, with Keane replying that umpires boss Jeff Gieschen had confirmed the circumstances.

Malthouse said: "I thought we almost got over the line when Pendlebury popped that one through.

Asked if he was surprised the goal was not allowed, Malthouse added: "I thought that (advantage) was the rule, unless they've changed it again, I'm not sure.

"Clearly, to me, it was an advantage." Keane then told Malthouse that time-on had been blown.

"Time had been blown? ... okay Patrick, that's the fastest whistle in history," Malthouse said.

"I'm not here to say right or wrong, all I'm saying is it's remarkable, given what we've been told - that players make up their minds.

"You stop or you go, we went, Geelong went, we kicked a goal, (but) it came back.

"Someone has clearly got it wrong - us, them or whatever."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news