Jake King fined $800 by AFL Tribunal - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Jake King fined $800 by AFL Tribunal

Greg Buckle 17/05/2011 08:08:30 PM Comments (0)

Richmond forward Jake King has been fined $800 by the AFL Tribunal for angrily shoving a Western Bulldogs trainer during last Sunday's match at Etihad Stadium.

King was contesting the charge of misconduct, for which the Match Review Panel had recommended a fine of $1600.

Following a one-hour hearing on Tuesday night, the Tribunal found King guilty but reduced the recommended fine by half.

King said his intention had been to "fly the flag" for team-mate Jack Riewoldt, who had received a 50-metre penalty for a late hit after taking a mark and was then moved downfield to the goalsquare to take the kick.

As Riewoldt celebrated kicking the goal, King became involved in a scuffle with several Bulldogs players including Robert Murphy and Dylan Addison.

At one stage, King's team-mate Ben Nason tries to drag King away from the incident, but King continues to exchange verbal abuse with Murphy.

The 178cm King said he felt under siege, with Bulldogs players coming at him from all directions.

Legal counsel Andrew Tinney said the video footage showed King was looking at the 43-year-old trainer when he pushed him, but King said it all happened in a flash.

"I thought Jack was harshly dealt with so I wanted to stick up for Jack and voice my opinion," King said.

"I felt contact and verbal abuse coming from around me.

"I felt contact to my left shoulder.

"It happened very quickly. It was in the blink of an eye.

"I pushed before I even looked to see who it was.

"I didn't realise it was a trainer. If I had known that, I wouldn't have pushed him."

But King handed out some advice to the trainer on Tuesday, adding: "No trainer or official should be around any push and shove between players."

The trainer Mark Borg gave evidence via telephone link and said he'd been instructed to avoid scuffles.

"There was no scuffle as I approached," Borg said.

"The scuffle had subsided. I passed Robert Murphy the drink.

"He was about to drink it and he (King) gave me a little push in the chest.

"I was shocked. You don't expect a player to come up to myself."

King agreed with Tinney's assertion that he was "worked-up" but denied he had lost his temper.

Fremantle's Nathan Fyfe successfully challenged a charge of making negligent contact with an umpire.

Fyfe argued he was pushed into the umpire's path at a centre bounce by Richmond's Nathan Foley in the match played on May 7 at the MCG.

Fyfe had been facing a $2400 fine.

King had no complaints afterwards.

"I was pretty sure that they would come up with the right decision. They always do so I'm happy with that," he said.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news