Pendlebury set to stay for 2012: report - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Pendlebury set to stay for 2012: report

Greg Buckle 19/05/2011 11:38:24 PM Comments (0)

Collingwood midfielder Scott Pendlebury has agreed to a new contract but only for one more season, according to reports.

Channel Nine's The Footy Show said the 2010 Norm Smith Medallist was happy to sign on with the Magpies for a new one-year deal which would expire after the 2012 season.

This would leave the star midfielder still in the sights of Team Greater Western Sydney (GWS) for the 2013 season.

GWS join the AFL in 2012 and have a two-year window to attract out-of-contract players from rival clubs.

Pendlebury, 23, won All-Australian selection last year and was best-afield in the grand final replay against St Kilda.

The Footy Show report said the deal to keep Pendlebury at Collingwood had been completed this week after months of negotiations.

This would leave the Magpies to work on getting talented utility Dale Thomas to sign a new deal amid interest from the cashed-up GWS.

Pendlebury is expected to attract massive interest from GWS for the 2013 season, The Footy Show report said.

"I spoke to him a few weeks ago. He said the finer details have been done," Pendlebury's Collingwood team-mate Travis Cloke told The Footy Show on Thursday night.

"We look forward to having him this year and next year."

Pendlebury also appeared to confirm his new one year deal with a comment on his Twitter page, indicating the deal would be announced on Friday.

Thomas, who was third in last year's Copeland Trophy behind Dane Swan and Pendlebury, is yet to commit to the club for 2012.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news