Cats remain undefeated after thriller - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Cats remain undefeated after thriller

Greg Buckle 21/05/2011 12:24:45 PM Comments (0)

Carlton ruckman Robert Warnock missed a goal from close range in the dying minutes to allow Geelong to score a two-point win in a classic shootout at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

The Cats kept their unbeaten AFL record intact this season with a 15.12 (102) to 14.16 (100) win.

Adding to the pain of the narrow defeat for the Blues, their skipper Chris Judd suffered an apparent foot injury late in the first half and played on with a slight limp for the rest of the match.

Geelong's champion defender Matthew Scarlett took two crucial marks in the closing stages after Warnock was paid a free kick with 77 seconds remaining and only 15 metres out and missed his shot at goal from a slight angle.

Midfielder James Kelly and Joel Selwood were big contributors for Geelong while the heroic Judd had 22 possessions for the Blues, who were best served by Heath Scotland and Marc Murphy who had over 30 possessions each.

It was Geelong's eighth win from eight matches this season and their ninth from nine outings against the Blues at Etihad Stadium.

Geelong fought back from 18 points down early in the second quarter to draw level at halftime, 8.6 (54) to Carlton's 8.6 (54).

Steve Johnson and Jimmy Bartel each kicked two first-half goals for the Cats who scored 6.3 to Carlton's 2.3 in the second quarter.

Kade Simpson and Jeff Garlett, with two goals each, gave the Blues an early advantage in the first half.

Murphy and Scotland were dominating the midfield for Carlton while Selwood led the Cats with 19 first-half disposals.

Travis Varcoe lifted his game in the third term, kicking three goals including a delightful left-foot snap as the Cats surged 14 points ahead at the 17-minute mark.

Goals to Murphy and Andrew Walker allowed Carlton to level the scores again.

However Geelong wrestled back the lead in the 28th minute when Mathew Stokes was gifted a goal following a free kick paid against Carlton's Nick Duigan for mouthing to the umpire.

The Cats led by seven points at three-quarter time, 12.11 (83) to 11.10 (76) despite a huge third term from Scotland who gathered 12 possessions for the quarter.

Judd kicked the opening goal of the last quarter with a stunning pick-up on the run and a glorious left-foot snap which delighted the Blues' home crowd of 48,429.

Simpson's third goal via a pass from Judd put the Blues five points ahead.

Geelong scored two successive goals through Paul Chapman and Johnson to creep ahead by four points.

Carlton sent limping midfielder Judd to a forward role as Geelong's James Podsiadly took a big mark and landed his first goal of the game.

Jarrad Waite's second goal however narrowed the margin to four points before the Blues failed to grasp their final chance through Warnock.

Simpson was Carlton's leading goalscorer while Varcoe and Johnson kicked three each for the Cats.

The Blues play Melbourne at the MCG next Friday night while Geelong travel to Queensland to play the Gold Coast Suns on Saturday night where the home side will be led by ex-Cat Gary Ablett.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news