GI leaves door open for Storm NRL return - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

GI leaves door open for Storm NRL return

By David Beniuk 02/06/2011 07:13:49 PM Comments (0)

Greg Inglis has left the door open for a possible return to Melbourne as he prepares to come up against his former NRL club for the first time since his forced exit.

Inglis will make a timely return from injury for the Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Sunday to take on the Storm, after the Test centre's release by the Melbourne club in the wake of last year's salary cap scandal.

Admitting he had previously thought of himself as a one-club man with the Storm, Inglis said a return to the club after his three-year deal with Souths expired was a possibility.

"It's hard to tell," he told reporters on Thursday.

"I'm here, I'm happy here, I'm here for three years so it's nothing that I've thought about.

"But if the opportunity does come down the road, it depends who's where and what and how I'm feeling.

"There's no question mark over that. I probably would go back down there, but I'm happy here and I'm here for the long haul and we just have to wait and see."

The 24-year-old was dubbed one of Melbourne's "big four" as the $3.8 million rort unfolded and the futures of big money stars Inglis, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith became clouded.

The quartet formed the backbone of the Storm's two grand final wins, successes ultimately stripped as part of the penalties for the cap breaches.

Inglis won the Clive Churchill Medal in 2007 and it was the Queensland centre who eventually had little choice but to jump ship, considering a switch to AFL before signing with Souths.

Inglis said he had always believed he would be at the Storm for the length of his NRL career.

"I definitely did," he said. "Obviously under the circumstances last year, I had to move around because of salary cap reasons.

"But I have made my decision and I am sticking by it."

Sticking by Inglis are Rabbitohs fans, whose patience will finally be rewarded after the star's month on the sidelines.

Inglis, who injured the same hip which required off-season surgery, said he was ready to repay them and help get the struggling club's season back on track after consecutive losses.

"I'm hungrier," he said. "After having three weeks on the bench, watching the boys play, frustrates me a lot.

"I just want to get out there and play footy and go back to what I do best.

"I'm pretty confident. I don't know what Bellyache (Storm coach Craig Bellamy) and the boys have in store for me, but I'm pretty sure it won't be anything easy, so I'm pretty much going into this match looking forward to it like it's an Origin match.

"I know those boys are just going to be relentless and give us nothing to work with."

As well as Inglis, Melbourne shed several first graders including Brett Finch, Ryan Hoffman, Aiden Tolman, Brett White and Jeff Lima, but Inglis was not surprised the Storm sat second on the ladder.

"I am not surprised because I know how they work down there," he said.

"No matter who they bring in, they always mould them into the Melbourne Storm style of play. The way they have been going is outstanding."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news