AFL to look into GWS-Ward dealings - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

AFL to look into GWS-Ward dealings

29/06/2011 05:18:07 PM Comments (0)

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou says the league will look into Greater Western Sydney's dealings with recruiting target Callan Ward, but he doubts they have breached any rules.

The 21-year-old Western Bulldogs midfielder has reportedly been offered a $5 million, five-year deal by the Giants and given a fortnight to decide whether to take it up.

While the Giants can sign an uncontracted player from each of the existing clubs at the end of this season or next season, AFL rules prevent clubs from making direct approaches to rivals' players during the season.

Demetriou said on Wednesday AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson would look into the matter, but so far there had been no official complaint made.

"If the GWS Giants have breached any rules I'll soon know about it and it certainly hasn't come across my desk," he told reporters.

Demetriou said questions on potential penalties if a breach did occur were premature.

"There's a wide range of penalties, but I'm pretty confident that's not what they've done," he said.

"I think Adrian Anderson is obliged to make inquiries. I think the media likes using the word investigation, we'll probably make some inquiries."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news