Sling tackle trouble again for Trengove - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Sling tackle trouble again for Trengove

Guy Hand 03/07/2011 05:08:37 PM Comments (0)

Melbourne midfielder Jack Trengove admits he has no idea whether the controversial sling tackle will land him in strife for the second time this AFL season.

Suspended once this season for a similar tackle, Trengove faces a nervous Monday as the match review panel again scrutinises him over slinging Western Bulldog Callan Ward to the ground on Friday night.

Trengove got a holding-the-ball free-kick paid to him for the tackle on Ward, so the umpires at the time had no issue with it.

But AFL umpires' boss Jeff Gieschen has flagged the incident will be reviewed as a matter of course.

"I really don't know (if I'll be in trouble) but I was happy I got the free-kick in the end for him holding the ball," Trengove told the Seven Network's AFL Game Day.

"I just tackle the way I've grown up doing it. It's an instinctive thing, and you're just trying your best to get them to dispose (of) the ball ... or get them holding the ball."

Trengove received a widely criticised three-week ban for a sling tackle on Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield earlier this season.

And the panel has since banned Sydney's Shane Mumford and St Kilda's Justin Koschitzke for similar incidents.

But Trengove's tackle on Dangerfield left the Adelaide player badly concussed.

Ward was unhurt in the latest Trengove tackle.

Trengove admitted should the match review panel have another issue with his tackling style, he may have to look at changing it.

"I suppose if I do get done I'll have to think about it, because you can't spend too many weeks on the sidelines like that," he said.

"It's a split-second thing, it's really instinctive, but he didn't hit his head this time."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news