Carney to fight for NRL career - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Carney to fight for NRL career

By Steve Jancetic 09/08/2011 06:56:12 PM Comments (0)

Todd Carney will again fight to save his NRL career when he fronts a Sydney Roosters disciplinary hearing into allegations of yet another alcohol-related indiscretion.

The Dally M medallist along with team-mates Nate Myles and Frank-Paul Nuuausala will be asked to explain their actions on Wednesday morning after it was confirmed the trio had broken a team alcohol ban on Monday night.

"The Sydney Roosters NRL playing squad made the commitment last week to avoid alcohol consumption for a two-week period," the club said in a statement.

"The club can confirm that the players were at two Eastern Suburbs establishments on Monday night."

It was reported the club was notified of the escapade by a cab driver, who claimed he drove the players from one hotel to another about 2am (AEST) on Tuesday.

All three were named in the side to play St George Illawarra on Sunday but it's likely they will be stood down for the match as punishment.

That might not be the end of the matter for Carney, however, with the former Test representative believed to be on his last chance with the club after previous misdemeanours.

The club will certainly be under pressure from NRL chief executive David Gallop to take a firm stand after he was given personal assurances by Carney earlier this year that he would get his life back on track.

Gallop has already accepted Carney back into the NRL fraternity once after he was sacked by Canberra in 2008.

With no evidence of any anti-social conduct, Monday night's breach would normally be viewed as a relatively minor affair - most likely resulting in a fine and short-term suspension.

But Carney has already been stood down once this year following a long drinking session with former team-mate Anthony Watts in April.

While Watts has since been released without playing a game for the club, Carney was suspended with the Roosters declaring they would step up medical support for his alcohol-related issues.

At the time, Gallop said Carney's blatant disregard for promises to stay away from alcohol showed how troubled the 25-year-old was.

"To go to the (Kings) Cross, where he was bound to be seen, to me shows that he is very much a troubled person at the moment, and that makes me sad for him," Gallop said in April.

On the surface, it appears little has changed, however, and his on-field performances are a shadow of the dizzying heights of 2010.

The Roosters refused to comment on what possible sanctions Carney was facing but, eventually, one last chance will prove to be just that.

There has always been a feeling that Carney's obvious playing talents made the club more willing to put up with his indiscretions but, with his form on the wane and the Roosters battling to avoid the wooden spoon, this latest incident might finally prove the last straw.

That was the hard call made by Canberra three years ago, when Carney refused to accept a five-point rehabilitation plan.

He was sacked and banished to park football, with the NRL refusing to register another contract for him until 2010.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news