AFL not privy to new Lovett claims - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

AFL not privy to new Lovett claims

Steve Larkin 10/08/2011 05:34:56 PM Comments (0)

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou says he's not privy to a reported police investigation into former Essendon and St Kilda player Andrew Lovett.

The Age said on Wednesday that Lovett was being investigated for sexual assault, less than a month after being found not guilty of two rape charges.

The newspaper reported a woman had contacted police in February, alleging she was sexually assaulted by Lovett a year earlier.

Demetriou said Lovett "hasn't been convicted of anything".

"The fact that he is being investigated - I'm not privy to that information and I don't know whether that will go anywhere or go any further," Demetriou told reporters in Adelaide on Wednesday.

"So at the moment, he is a person who is entitled to nominate for the draft and then it's then up to a club to choose him.

"We have said before, if he gets drafted, he will be welcomed back into the competition."

Lovett joined St Kilda after leaving Essendon but never played a game for the Saints, who sacked him after the rape allegations became public.

Last month in the Victorian County Court, the 28-year-old was found not guilty of two counts of rape.

After the verdict, he expressed a desire to return to AFL ranks via the national draft.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news