Dragons win boosts Roosters, says Mini - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Dragons win boosts Roosters, says Mini

Ian McCullough 17/08/2011 04:23:03 PM Comments (0)

Anthony Minichiello claims Sydney Roosters' shock win over St George Illawarra on Sunday has lifted the beleaguered NRL club following a miserable season.

Despite being forced to stand down serial offender Todd Carney, Nate Myles and Frank-Paul Nuuausala for breaking team rules about consuming alcohol last week, the Roosters stunned the Dragons 20-12, to record only their seventh win of the year.

The trio will remain on the sidelines for Saturday's clash with fellow strugglers Cronulla, but Minichiello said Sunday's performance proved the Roosters are still capable of matching it with the best, despite sitting in 13th spot on the ladder.

"It was a massive boost for us as a club and the young forwards who played in that game got a lot of confidence out of beating last year's premiers," Minichiello said.

"Hopefully it will give them the belief to do that week in week out.

"It was a tough week early on but once we got that out of the way we could concentrate on the job at hand, we got the job done and produced a really good performance.

"Our motivation for the rest of the season is pretty clear, we want to stay away from the bottom of the ladder and try and finish as high as possible so we can have a good run in the next pre-season."

The NSW fullback was reticent to discuss what should happen to Carney, who is facing the prospect of having his contract torn up after being caught drinking for a second time since vowing to steer clear of alcohol after being caught drink-driving in March.

The Dally M Medal winner will front the Roosters board along with Myles and Nuuausala next week having been served with a breach notice last Wednesday.

Minichiello said the playing group would support any decision made by the club, but admitted he felt some sympathy for his teammates.

The 31-year-old also said he was unaware of a report claiming there were other players out on the town until the early hours of last Tuesday with Carney, Myles and Nuuausala.

"I think it is up to the club now and we will support whatever decision they make. We've got a job to do and that is to play footy," he said.

"It's not for me to say what they should do.

"I feel for the players as it's hard not being involved in the playing group when you have been left out.

"In any footy club you don't want players getting into trouble, but it happens in every day life, we'd like it if everything could be kept internal, but you guys (the media) always seem to find out everything."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news