Blair apologises for role in NRL brawl - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Blair apologises for role in NRL brawl

By Steve Jancetic 28/08/2011 08:27:04 PM Comments (0)

Melbourne forward Adam Blair has apologised for his role in Friday night's all-in brawl at Brookvale Oval that threatens to rub him and several others out for the rest of the NRL season.

Blair and Manly backrower Glenn Stewart are likely to have their cases referred straight to Wednesday night's sitting of the NRL judiciary.

The instigated sparked a brawl which attracted every player on the field and some sitting on the Storm interchange bench.

In a statement released on Sunday night, Storm officials claimed their players left the bench because they feared for Blair's safety after several Manly players swamped him.

The Kiwi international was at a loss to explain why he continued his battle with Stewart after the pair had been sin-binned.

"I would like to apologise to everyone for the incident with Glenn on Friday night," Blair said ahead of Monday's sitting of the match review committee.

"I'm extremely disappointed to be involved in such an incident that does not put the game I love in a positive light, especially (for) my family, friends and all rugby league supporters.

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I had my time again I would have done things differently.

"It was a spur of the moment reaction, that was not planned and to be honest it happened that quickly I still don't really know why it occurred."

Storm chief executive Ron Gauci said he had interviewed his players involved as part of the club's internal review of the fight.

While Blair is in danger of a lengthy ban, so too are those who left the bench to join in, including Sisa Waqa and Jaiman Lowe.

"Anyone who has seen the incident from Friday night would agree it was unfortunate and extremely difficult for everyone involved, especially Adam's teammates nearby," Gauci said.

"Whilst the (interchange) players accept that entering the altercation was improper, they felt that the need to preserve the safety of their teammate was paramount.

"The players have assured me that their intention was never to further inflame the situation."

The match review committee will hand down its findings on Monday, though the NRL is also likely to fine both clubs over the incident.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news