MCG upgrade to begin after AFL grand final - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

MCG upgrade to begin after AFL grand final

21/09/2011 04:09:47 PM Comments (0)

Work will begin on the MCG's $50 million facelift after the AFL grand final next month but officials say there will be minimal disruption to this summer's cricket and the 2012 football season.

The upgrade of the 20-year-old Great Southern Stand will include new food courts, toilets, signage and improved entry points at several gates.

Entertaining facilities for corporates will be improved, with the creation of a new 500-seat function room, and the AFL Members Reserve will also be upgraded.

The refurbishment, $30 million of which will be paid for out of the public purse, will begin immediately after the October 1 AFL grand final.

Melbourne Cricket Club chief executive Stephen Gough said there would be minimal impact on the ground's seating capacity during the redevelopment, which is due to be ready in time for the 2013 AFL season.

"There are things now that people expect," he told reporters at the MCG.

"You have seen it on the northern side and we're going to deliver some of those things onto the southern (side) and some new things."

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the league was expecting 150,000 fans to attend this weekend's two preliminary finals at the ground.

"We are on track ... to break through the three million spectators again, the second year in a row," he said.

Last year, then Labor premier John Brumby announced the upgrade and committed the $30 million of taxpayers' funds.

Premier Ted Baillieu said Construction Engineering was awarded the contract after an extensive tender process.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news