NSW trainer the key for Myles Qld hopes - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

NSW trainer the key for Myles Qld hopes

By Laine Clark 01/06/2007 02:53:21 AM Comments (0)

If NSW is smashed by Queensland enforcer Nate Myles in Origin II, they will only have themselves to blame.

NSW trainer Ron Palmer is ensuring Sydney Roosters forward Myles is on track for Maroons selection for the June 13 Telstra Stadium showdown despite enduring yet another suspension.

Palmer is also the Roosters trainer and his brutal workouts again appear to have secured an Origin nod for Myles despite the fact the forward has not played an NRL game in almost seven weeks.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris believed fitness would not be a problem for Myles who has not played since Origin I due to a two-game ban for a dangerous throw.

Throw in the loyalty card that Queensland always likes to play around Origin time and the outlook looks pretty good for the frustrated Myles.

"I really hope the selectors show loyalty again. I think that is the reason Queensland has been so successful because they are so loyal," Myles told AAP.

In an encouraging sign for Myles, Morris told AAP: "I don't think a little bit of loyalty goes astray."

Palmer's tough love worked wonders for Myles before Origin I.

Myles was a surprise Maroons selection for the May 23 inter-state series opener after not playing for almost five weeks due to a previous suspension.

Myles is keeping his fingers crossed Palmer's unforgiving program will again work wonders - not that he is enjoying it.

"Ronny Palmer is really enjoying my stint with suspension, put it that way," he said.

"It's been torture. He's not on my Christmas card list at the moment.

"But Ron's got me in the best shape I could be in ... if the selectors pick me again I will be up to it.

"Match fitness has obviously got to be a concern because I am not playing but I don't think it should be a problem.

"I felt pretty comfortable out there (in Origin I)."

Meanwhile, Myles admitted he had to look at his defensive technique after bans for a high tackle and a dangerous throw limited him to just five 2007 NRL games to date.

While he believed he was unlucky to be banned for a dangerous throw on NSW prop Brett White despite Dallas Johnson also being involved in the spear tackle, Myles conceded he had a problem with his defence.

"I got into a bit of trouble last year which is why my suspension (for Origin I dangerous throw) was a bit more severe than I thought it would be," Myles said.

"But in the speed of the game I didn't think it was anything at all.

"What I did wrong was stand up with him (White), but when I stood up there was no weight on me at all because he was already being pushed toward the ground (by Johnson).

"But I've got to fix it, not the judiciary. My tackling technique needs to be adjusted."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news