AFL boss saddened by Carey drugs report - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

AFL boss saddened by Carey drugs report

16/03/2008 05:17:04 PM Comments (0)

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has expressed sadness over news that Wayne Carey apparently has a drug problem.

Demetriou is also confident a majority of players would agree to an extension of the league's testing program for illicit drugs.

Earlier this week, AFL Players' Association president Joel Bowden said the association was seeking clarification from the league over testing players during their time off.

News Limited papers reported on Sunday that Carey and his girlfriend Kate Neilson had admitted to using drugs.

The reports said Carey and Neilson had discussed the matter in a joint interview with New Idea magazine to be published on Monday.

Carey admitted to taking cocaine and said he had hit "rock bottom", adding the pair needed to make "important changes" to their lives.

"I have seen this morning's paper and if it is true, I feel very sad about that," Demetriou told Channel Seven.

"One of the most encouraging things I've read out of that article was that Wayne has actually acknowledged he has a problem.

"In many instances, that's the first step....he needs to get some help about it and I wish him well."

Carey, widely regarded as one of the best players in the game's history, is eligible for induction into the AFL Hall Of Fame.

Demetriou was cautious when asked if he thought Carey's well-documented off-field problems would mean the Hall Of Fame's selection committee might not admit him immediately.

"I'm not on the Hall Of Fame committee, but I'm sure that will come up," Demetriou said.

Meanwhile, Demetriou was confident when asked about the prospect of an extension to the illicit drugs testing program, which is separate to the standard anti-doping program.

He said the league had spoken to the AFLPA and the player leadership groups at all the clubs about the issue.

"In the main I would be surprised if, out of 16 clubs, we didn't get the overwhelming support of players who have said they would be prepared to look at that, on the basis it didn't interfere with their holidays," he said.

"One of the things we've been looking at, which has been publicised, is things like hair testing, where you can actually test and it goes back about three months."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news