Bulldogs attack media over allegations - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Bulldogs attack media over allegations

By Daniel Pace 26/02/2004 07:03:00 PM Comments (0)

The Bulldogs have taken a swipe at the media, with football manager Garry Hughes claiming the National Rugby League club had been portrayed as "full of rapists".

Hughes also confirmed the club's players would be banned from going out on the Gold Coast on Saturday night when the Bulldogs play St George Illawarra in a trial match.

The ban comes in the wake of a woman's allegations that she was sexually assaulted by up to six Bulldogs players at a Coffs Harbour resort on Sunday morning.

"There'll be no set-time curfew," said Hughes, who added the players would dine together after the trial before returning to the hotel, the Outrigger Sun City Resort in glitzy Surfers Paradise.

"We're just going to go up, play football and get back as quick as we can."

Hughes confirmed that security company NES, also used to protect the NSW Origin team, would be employed for the Gold Coast trip.

Police are continuing their inquiries into the allegations. It was confirmed that all Bulldogs players who went to Coffs Harbour would be DNA-tested.

Hughes launched a tirade at the media coverage of the scandal since the news broke on Monday.

"We're painted as a club full of rapists and we haven't even had a chance to present any facts," Hughes said.

"If you read the papers or listened to a radio or watched the television in the last few days, that's all it says - there's six rapists in the Canterbury club.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news