Zimbabwe players get a another chance - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Zimbabwe players get a another chance

By Adam Cooper 15/05/2004 05:43:14 AM Comments (0)

The Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) has granted the country's 15 rebel players another deadline extension to return to training and left ajar the chance of Australia playing a full-strength side in the coming Test series.

The ZCU gave the players, who are boycotting in protest against selection policies, three weeks to make themselves available for selection or face the sack.

The new deadline in June 4.

While reports earlier this week said the ZCU had already cancelled the players' contracts, chief executive Vincent Hogg said the union was obliged to give the players another chance to return.

Hogg was hopeful rather than confident of a resolution to the crisis.

"This is sad for cricket and if they do make themselves available for Zimbabwe, they'll be able to go out there and help some of the younger boys playing at the moment (against Sri Lanka)," he said.

It is almost certain the build-up to the first Test between Australia and Zimbabwe, in Harare starting May 22, will be surrounded by uncertainty over the home side's line-up.

The Australians were disappointed to learn Zimbabwe allrounder Sean Ervine, one of the rebels, had retired from cricket in his homeland.

But Australian captain Ricky Ponting said Ervine, whom the Australians bumped into at Johannesburg Airport, had given an indication three or four of the rebel players were considering a return.

Ponting said Australia's biggest challenge for the two Tests was to be mentally focused despite the gulf in class between the teams - regardless of how strong Zimbabwe's side will be.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news