Broncos cop Hodge's ban 'on the chin' - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Broncos cop Hodge's ban 'on the chin'

24/03/2009 07:47:32 PM Comments (0)

Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak says the club will cop Justin Hodge's one-match grapple tackle ban "on the chin" because officials need to eradicate the dangerous tactic from the game.

While clearly disappointed at losing the Origin and Test star for Saturday's tough assignment against the Warriors in Auckland, Henjak said Brisbane was behind the NRL's campaign to rid the game of the unwanted tackle.

"We're going to cop that one on the chin and move on," said Henjak, who has kickstarted his senior coaching career with back-to-back wins over the Cowboys and Storm.

"It just takes up too much time and energy.

"Whether we were going to be successful or not, I'm not sure.

"We'll cop it and move on."

Henjak said officials were taking a stand and deserved to be supported.

"They need to stamp it out. They're making a stand and I think that's a good thing," he said.

"With every referring decision that jumps all over it (grapple) and every judiciary decision that jumps all over it I think it will sink in."

Henjak has proved to be something of a tactical genius with his selection gambles in the opening two rounds.

He faces another tough call with four players facing fitness assessments at training on Wednesday before the team heads to New Zealand.

Winger Jharal Yow Yeh (foot) is earmarked to come into the starting side for the suspended Hodges.

Prop Nick Kenny, a late withdrawal last week against Melbourne with a hamstring injury, has been named in the front row but along with back-rower Lagi Setu (back) and veteran centre Michael DeVere (hamstring) he'll have to satisfy Henjak of his fitness.

Henjak named a 20-man squad on Tuesday which included talented Auckland-born utility Alex Glenn and forwards Dave Taylor, Josh McGuire and Ashton Sims.

"We have to check Jharal, Lagi (Setu) and Mick (DeVere) tomorrow," said Henjak.

"Nick (Kenny) was close last week but he's also in that category as well.

"We're just a little concerned it's a short turn around and the plane trip with the injury he has.

"We need to weigh up all the risks and we'll make that decision tomorrow."

Kenny said his hamstring was progressing well although he hadn't really tested it under load.

"I guess I'll have a run tomorrow and see how it pulls up but it's still a bit iffy," Kenny told AAP.

The 2009 Warriors, which include a few ex-Broncos, including goal-kicking winger Denan Kemp, have impressed Henjak.

"They're a big physical team that play some good footy," he said.

"Their forwards aren't frightened to pass the ball around and they worry you with every carry of the football."

TAB Sportsbet and Sportingbet Australia both reported heavy backing for the Warriors to win the premiership this week with their odds halved on the back of two strong wins.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2024 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news