Sinclair banned for five weeks - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Sinclair banned for five weeks

By Chris Lines 19/08/2003 09:12:04 PM Comments (0)

Jess Sinclair will not play again until round four of 2004 after the Kangaroos player received the longest suspension of the AFL season for a clash that left Hawthorn's Lance Picioane with multiple facial fractures.

Sinclair's habit of jumping into body collisions was combined last Saturday night with a swinging forearm that severely injured Picioane and resulted in a five-week suspension being handed down by the AFL tribunal.

In further bad news for the Kangaroos, captain Anthony Stevens was given a two-week ban for striking Hawthorn's Nick Holland, with both players pleading guilty.

Sinclair's suspension was the stiffest penalty handed down since Adelaide captain Mark Bickley received the same number of weeks for an elbow to the fact of Port Adelaide's Darryl Wakelin late last year.

Sinclair was so remorseful about his actions that Bickley rang the Kangaroos to offer support.

Picioane's mother Glenda had also called the club after hearing the depth of Sinclair's contrition in an apologetic phone-call the Kangaroo player had made to the Picioane home.

"I've had time to reflect over the past couple of days, and I am embarrassed and ashamed of what I did," Sinclair told the tribunal.

"I spoke to Lance and I spoke to his mum, it felt terrible.

"I've just got to cop it on the chin, move on with my life and try to put it behind me."

Sinclair said his was a "reflex action", but admitted raising his arm in the contact.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news