Davydenko sorry for Sydney Int'l comment - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Davydenko sorry for Sydney Int'l comment

16/01/2007 11:58:47 PM Comments (0)

Russian Nikolay Davydenko has apologised for comments he made about last week's Sydney International after pulling out of the tournament through injury.

The world No.3, who ground out a routine 6-2 7-5 6-2 victory over Argentina's Sergio Roitman in the Australian Open first round on Tuesday, said he had not intended to criticise the warm-up event in Sydney when he described it as "small". He was fined $10,000.

"I made some comments after Sydney International which I now regret," Davydenko said in a statement. "My English is not very good and I didn't mean to say anything bad about the tournament.

"What I was trying to say was that while the Sydney tournament was important my main focus was on the Australian Open and it was wise to stop because of my injury.

"At the time of the press conference I was very worried that my injury would force me out of the Australian Open and I didn't express myself very well.

"I would like to apologise to the tournament organisers and the fans who support the event so well.

"I now want to focus on doing the best I can in the Australian Open."

Davydenko, the third seed, cruised through the opening set against Roitman but trailed by a break of serve in the second before fighting back to take it.

The 25-year-old Davydenko, a quarter-finalist at Melbourne Park for the last two years, was never threatened in the third set but wasted two match points before clinching victory with a rasping forehand winner.

"Today was perfect for me," Davydenko told reporters.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2023 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news