Crows claim 24-point victory over Port - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Crows claim 24-point victory over Port

By Daniel Brettig 14/04/2007 06:15:49 PM Comments (0)

Adelaide have pushed their 2007 AFL season into the black with a spirited 24-point victory over a sluggish Port Adelaide in the South Australian showdown at AAMI Stadium.

Mirroring the strategy from their victory over the similarly speedy Bulldogs last week, the Crows slotted the day's first three goals and headed off a third term Power charge before winning 13.9 (87) to 8.15 (63) in front of 36,959 people - the smallest crowd in showdown history.

Port's misery was compounded by a potentially serious ankle injury to ruckman Dean Brogan, who limped off in the second quarter and didn't return.

Backline sweeper Andrew McLeod was again outstanding for Adelaide to win the showdown medal as best afield, while Martin Mattner, Scott Thompson, Brent Reilly and Ben Hudson also had an influence.

Ben Rutten continued his dominance of Warren Tredrea, restricting Port's captain to one goal in his comeback appearance.

A tall forward line composing Scott Welsh (four goals), Ian Perrie (three), Scott Stevens (two) and Nathan Bock (one) stretched Port, which in hindsight could have done with omitted defender Troy Chaplin.

Port was kept in the contest for three quarters through the efforts of the Burgoyne brothers and Brendon Lade, though Shaun Burgoyne will rue kicking four behinds before registering his side's first goal for the match.

Both sides suffered important omissions prior to the bounce, Crow forward Matthew Bode absent due to leg soreness and Power whippet Danyle Pearce unable to shake off a sore hamstring.

There were a few surprises when the teams matched up, Mattner given the job of minding Brett Ebert, while Stevens again lined up in the Adelaide forward line.

He was to provide one of several important attacking options as the Crows skipped to an early lead, then held on late in the first term.

Mark Williams' prediction that Adelaide would attempt to clog the Power was well-founded, Port finding themselves faced by a defensive flood whenever they moved forward.

Needing to attack through traffic as a result, they lacked composure in front of goal, leading to a 3.10 halftime ledger.

By contrast, the Crows were able to break cleanly on numerous occasions, more often than not via McLeod, and quality disposal afforded enough opportunities to built a 23-point lead at the main break.

Adelaide's strangulation tactics required plenty of hard running and the Crows appeared to tire as the final change neared, allowing Port to close the gap to a manageable 14 points.

Tredrea was then denied what appeared a clear mark within range of goal inside the first minute of the final term and the Power seemed deflated from that point.

The Crows took advantage with two more goals to Welsh and an unlikely round-the-corner effort by Perrie, leaving the result beyond question with time to spare.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news