Raiders prop Weyman banned for six weeks - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Raiders prop Weyman banned for six weeks

08/04/2008 04:52:26 PM Comments (0)

Canberra prop Michael Weyman copped a six-match ban for striking as the Raiders took another swing at the Gold Coast for suggesting penalties before the NRL had even laid a charge.

Weyman had been charged with grade four striking for punching Titans forward Daniel Conn in the 67th minute of Saturday's 32-12 loss.

He was also charged with a grade one offence for a 55th minute incident in which his forearm made contact with the head of Titans centre Luke O'Dwyer.

He entered early guilty pleas to both charges, opting not to risk an eight-match ban by contesting them at the judiciary.

But the Raiders were still seething at the fact Titans players had publicly stated their opinions on potential penalties for Weyman before the match review committee had even looked at the incident.

Titans backrower Mark Minichiello said on Sunday that Weyman "should be definitely looking at six to eight weeks" on the sideline.

"I've had a few discussions with the league and the disappointment we've had with their players commenting on the charge and what he should get and that should not happen," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

"The league knows that, and I spoke to (Titans chief executive) Michael Searle as well and he was apologetic, but it's not their place to come out and talk about how many weeks he should get.

"I know Michael is very disappointed that this was going on prior to the charge coming through."

Furner also reiterated the club's disappointment at referee Ben Cummins branding the seemingly unprovoked hit a `king hit' before sending Weyman off.

"I know Michael refutes that," Furner said.

"It was two guys standing there squaring off.

"He shouldn't have done it, but he got the first punch in.

"It wasn't a king hit."

Weyman was the only player to cop a suspension with Melbourne Storm prop Adam Blair avoiding a one-match ban after entering an early guilty plea for his "chicken wing" tackle on Brisbane's Michael Ennis.

Blair pleaded guilty to the charge of contrary conduct in applying unnecessary pressure to Ennis's arm and has been named to start for premiers Melbourne in Friday night's clash with fellow 2007 grand finalists Manly at Olympic Park.

Blair became the first player charged over the controversial tackling style, which involves wrenching an attacking player's arm behind his back.

Parramatta pair Joel Reddy and Brett Finch also escaped suspension after pleading guilty to a dangerous throw on North Queensland's Luke O'Donnell on Saturday.

Both have been named to face the Titans at Parramatta Stadium on Friday night.

Cowboys prop Carl Webb is free to play after escaping punishment despite being charged with a grade one careless high tackle on Eels skipper Nathan Cayless.

Penrith backrower Frank Pritchard was found to have no case to answer by the match review committee despite being placed on report for a high shot on Tigers five-eighth Tim Moltzen in the Panthers' 30-8 win over Wests Tigers on Monday night.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news