Richmond captain punished over urination - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Richmond captain punished over urination

22/04/2008 04:08:19 PM Comments (0)

Richmond captain Kane Johnson hopes to help out the Salvation Army under a court-ruled community order for having urinated on Melbourne's police headquarters.

Johnson, 30, of Melbourne, was charged with offensive behaviour and being drunk in a public place over the incident outside the St Kilda Road police station in the early hours of March 23.

In Melbourne Magistrates Court, Magistrate Simon Garnett ordered the AFL star to perform eight hours of community work as part of a diversion order.

The program is aimed at deflecting first time offenders from the mainstream criminal justice system.

It also means they avoid a criminal record.

Mr Garnett also ordered Johnson to supply the court with a letter he sent to Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon apologising for his actions.

A policewoman returning from an early morning callout caught Johnson urinating on a wall of the police complex, which is next door to his home, after a night out celebrating his 30th birthday.

Mr Garnett told Johnson his actions were foolish and acknowledged his embarrassment over the incident, which happened only a week after Carlton forward Brendan Fevola was sanctioned for being caught urinating outside a nightclub.

"It was a silly act to have performed, especially in respect to similar events that occurred shortly prior to that date," he said.

Mr Garnett said he accepted Johnson's remorse.

"Obviously you've suffered an amount of embarrassment for yourself, your family and your football club."

In a statement, Johnson said he had let himself and his club down badly and he apologised to police and his club.

"I look forward to rebuilding the trust of my team mates and our supporters," he said.

Outside court, he said it had been a difficult few weeks for all involved.

"This has been dealt with the harshest way and my job as captain is not to get into this sort of situation, but I won't be doing that in future," he said.

"It's something that I really regret and that's why I want to move on and hopefully just get on with the rest of the season and help the footy club have a positive year."

Johnson said he hoped to do the community work with the Salvation Army, with whom he already was involved.

After the incident Johnson suspended himself for a week and was fined $5,000 by his club.

He has three months to comply with the court order.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news