Gold Coast AFL plan to be revealed soon - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Gold Coast AFL plan to be revealed soon

By Guy Hand 28/08/2008 07:59:24 PM Comments (0)

The AFL will reveal the draft concessions for the new Gold Coast club within the next week, with nine first round picks in 2010 - including the top three selections - the most likely scenario.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said the league was likely to make plans for the 2010 draft public within a week.

But it is understood Gold Coast will be able to have first call on most of the country's best 17 and 18-year-olds in two years' time, with picks 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,13 and 15 in the national draft likely to be handed to the league's 17th club.

Gold Coast would also get access to a maximum of one out-of-contract player from the other 16 clubs.

Demetriou refused to confirm or deny the speculation, saying only the matter had been discussed for several hours at an AFL Commission meeting on Monday.

"The sub-committee includes seven club representatives and they formed some recommendations which went to the AFL Commission on Monday," Demetriou said.

"We are now in the process of finalising that list development recommendation."

If the plan was adopted, it would mean the wooden spoon team in 2010 would receive pick No.4 at best.

The Gold Coast team is also currently signing up the best young Queensland talent.

Five under-18 players have already been snapped up and another 15 will join them soon as the club readies itself for the Victorian under-18 competition next year and the second-tier VFL the year after before joining the AFL in 2011.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news