Morris signs major deal with Dragons - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Morris signs major deal with Dragons

By Steve Jancetic 01/06/2009 05:34:20 PM Comments (0)

Wendell Sailor has got his wish with St George Illawarra retaining the services of fellow Dragons winger Brett Morris for a further three years.

Sailor last week implored Dragons management to concentrate on locking up the talented 22-year-old ahead of his own contract negotiations, with Morris now to remain in the red and white until the end of the 2012 season.

Morris had been the subject of interest from the Bulldogs who were keen to reunite him with twin brother Josh.

But after starting the season below Sailor and New Zealand international Jason Nightingale in the pecking order at the Dragons, Morris has proved his worth by storming to the top of the NRL try-scorers list with ten four-pointers over the opening 12 rounds.

"I feel like I am improving each week and it is always good to score some tries, hopefully there is more to come," Morris said.

"We have a good group of players committed to the club both now and for the next few years and I am excited that we have been able to work everything out so I too can be a part of the future here."

Dragons coach Wayne Bennett admitted Morris' strong form made the decision to re-sign him an easy one.

"Brett's a player that is in wonderful form at the moment and I think he is only going to get better," Bennett said.

"He has some improvement in him and I'm elated that he has chosen to stay at the club as I think the fans will be."

Morris signature continues a strong month of re-signings for the ladder leaders with Ben Creagh, Dean Young, Beau Scott and Dan Hunt all committing to the Dragons long-term.

The only high profile player yet to be retained is NSW prop Justin Poore, who has fielded big offers from NRL rivals Cronulla and Parramatta.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said the club was still hopeful of holding onto Poore, whose asking price would no doubt have increased following his Origin call-up.

Weekend newspaper reports indicated the Dragons were closing in on their man, but Doust said negotiations had been put on hold until after Wednesday Origin series opener in Melbourne.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news