Storm bide time on Inglis decision - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Storm bide time on Inglis decision

By Steve Jancetic 26/08/2009 07:55:29 PM Comments (0)

Sidelined Melbourne NRL star Greg Inglis could be back playing this weekend after his lawyer called for assault charges against the Test star to be dropped.

Inglis' court case was on Wednesday adjourned until October 14, but not before lawyer Michael Croucher said Inglis would plead not guilty to unlawfully assaulting and recklessly causing injury to his former girlfriend Sally Robinson.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron told reporters the club would re-assess the playing ban which was imposed on Inglis when charges were laid on August 10.

"We'll make a determination on that within the next 48 hours," Waldron said.

The Melbourne board was delayed from meeting on Wednesday because several board members are overseas, but a telephone hook-up is likely on Thursday morning.

It is widely believed the board will look to reinstate the 2007 Clive Churchill medallist ahead of Saturday night's home game against the Sydney Roosters, though they would need the approval of the NRL to go ahead with such a move.

The NRL on Wednesday said they would wait until after the Storm board had met before making any comment.

It would be difficult to see the NRL standing in the way of the Storm reinstating Inglis following the revelation he will fight the charges.

The league has allowed Manly's Brett Stewart to play as he fights a sexual assault charge, saying the court case should be allowed to run its course.

They banned the fullback for four games earlier in the season, but for drunken behaviour at the Sea Eagles' season launch.

Inglis's legal team called for charges against their client to be dropped immediately as a result of new evidence provided by Robinson.

It has been reported that Inglis intervened to try to stop her harming herself.

"Mr Inglis acted as any right-thinking member of the community would have done in those circumstances, he protected her from harm," Croucher told the Sunshine Magistrates' Court.

"It is plain the charges must fail. Those charges should be withdrawn."

Inglis returned to training last week but has been stood down from playing in the club's last two matches - both of which ended in defeat.

The back-to-back losses have left the Storm clinging to a spot in the top four and needing to win their last two matches against the Roosters at Olympic Park and against the Warriors in Auckland next weekend to secure a home final.

Inglis' scheduled re-appearance in court is three days before the Australian Test side is due to fly out for the Four Nations tournament in England and France.

Inglis would be an automatic selection if available, but ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said it was too early to speculate on his availability for the trip to the northern hemisphere.

"At the moment he's not even playing," Carr said.

"We've got plenty of time and we'll just have to see how it all pans out."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news