Roos stay quiet over Gibson trade report - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Roos stay quiet over Gibson trade report

09/09/2009 07:40:34 PM Comments (0)

North Melbourne defender Josh Gibson could be the first big catch of Hawthorn's busy AFL trading campaign.

The two clubs will not comment on a report that Gibson has walked out on the Kangaroos.

"North Melbourne wishes to advise all media it will make no comment about potential trades or rumours regarding post-season player movement," the club said in a statement.

"Please do not contact any staff regarding these matters."

There is little doubt that North will demand Hawthorn's first-round draft pick at No.9 to consider a trade.

The Hawks became the first reigning premiers in a decade to fall out of the top eight the following season.

There is also speculation they will go after Western Bulldogs key defender Brian Lake or Fremantle ruckman Aaron Sandilands.

Meanwhile, Collingwood have poured cold water on speculation the Magpies might chase Essendon captain Matthew Lloyd for next season.

"It would be unlikely to be discussed that we would be targeting a 31-year-old captain of an opposition AFL club," assistant coach Mark Neeld said.

"We are looking at promoting youth in our forward line. It's quite a youthful area.

"I would highly doubt that's going to be discussed at our list management meetings."

Lloyd's playing future at Essendon will hinge on a meeting he has this week with Bombers coach Matthew Knights.

Intense media interest in the champion full-forward's fate means the club will not say when the meeting will happen.

A Tuesday post on the club website stated: "Following media requests, general manager of football operations, Paul Hamilton, today said that Matthew Lloyd will meet with Matthew Knights this week to discuss his playing future in 2010.

"Hamilton said that, despite significant public interest and media comment surrounding the captains decision, the club and Lloyd agreed mid-year to meet post-season as part of the player review and list management process and nothing has changed.

"Knights has previously said that he will support Lloyd, 31, if he wants to continue playing in 2010."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news