No more fines over Carlton booze cruise - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

No more fines over Carlton booze cruise

29/01/2010 07:39:08 PM Comments (0)

The AFL will work with Carlton to better educate players about alcohol issues but has spared the club any sanction over its notorious booze cruise late last year.

The AFL said on Friday it was satisfied with the way the Blues had penalised Ryan Houlihan, Andrew Walker and Eddie Betts after the trio was involved in drunken indiscretions after they and their teammates took a boat cruise as a Christmas break-up.

Carlton banished the trio from pre-season training, by ordering them to train with the Northern Bullants VFL side, and ruled them ineligible for selection in the pre-season competition.

They were also all fined $5,000 by the club.

After the boat cruise, in late December, Houlihan and Walker were thrown out of Melbourne's Crown Casino after scuffling with security guards, while Betts was arrested for being drunk in the city centre.

Carlton were also asked to explain why they had not kept the AFL informed of events at the time.

But AFL football operations general manager Adrian Anderson said he had been set a "detailed response" from the Blues this year, but said the club needed to implement a policy when dealing with alcohol.

Anderson said the "the AFL will appoint an appropriate person to consult with the club to further assist the club in its approach to responsible use of alcohol".

"Failure by the club to address this issue will result in sanctions," he said.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news