Nothing wrong with Ryan tackle: Elias - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Nothing wrong with Ryan tackle: Elias

16/03/2010 07:53:58 PM Comments (0)

Balmain great Benny Elias has implored the Wests Tigers to fight Beau Ryan's dangerous contact charge after the NRL club bizarrely bore the brunt of the disciplinary action out of Monday's fiery clash with Manly.

Three Sea Eagles players were placed on report for high shots during the spiteful encounter, and were also charged on Tuesday, but Tigers winger Ryan could serve a longer suspension than any of them after being booked for a "crusher" tackle at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The NRL match review committee has handed Ryan a grade three dangerous contact charge for a 65th minute tackle on Manly opposite Michael Robertson.

Ryan appeared to grab Robertson around the neck and sit him on the ground heavily.

He will be suspended for three matches if he pleads guilty and four if he unsuccessfully defends the charge at the NRL judiciary.

"I thought it was a good aggressive tackle, nothing wrong with it," Elias said of Ryan's tackle.

"If you want to fast forward and slow motion everything in this game, Christ, we'll be playing touch football soon.

"I'd be very surprised if they don't challenge that Beau Ryan tackle.

"They can't afford to have him on the sideline for three weeks for a tackle like that.

"I'm upset about it, yes, of course I am, all Tigers supporters would be upset about it."

Ryan's tackle had been overshadowed by Manly players George Rose, Brent Kite and Kieran Foran all being placed on report for high shots during the Tigers' 26-22 win.

Rose will miss only a week if he pleads guilty and two if he unsuccessfully defends the grade four careless tackle charge after he took out Tigers utility Daniel Fitzhenry, sparking a final minute dust-up.

Kite and Foran will escape suspension after receiving grade one careless high tackle charges.

Elias doesn't believe the Sea Eagles' trio, particularly Rose, deserved to be dealt with more harshly.

"I don't blame him, it was a very frustrating moment for them," he said.

"People have to understand, a little bit of latitude."

Match review committee chairman Greg McCallum said his panel was merely continuing last year's crackdown on grapple-style tackles.

"We're pretty thorough and vigilant on them and we'll be the same this year," he said.

"The policy's still the same."

Prop Keith Galloway said he hoped Manly's aggression, which also resulted in Tigers second-rower Liam Fulton being felled off the ball by Sea Eagles centre Tony Williams, had not been intentional.

"I'm not too filthy at anyone but that sort of stuff happens," he said.

"Hopefully there was no malice in it, but who knows?"

Tigers officials have until 12pm on Wednesday to decide whether to contest Ryan's charge.

Canterbury hooker Michael Ennis will miss Friday night's clash with St George Illawarra after entering an early guilty plea to a grade two careless high tackle charge.

Warriors five-eighth James Maloney and Gold Coast's Bodene Thompson have escaped suspension after pleading guilty to grade one charges of dangerous contact with a kicker.

Meanwhile, Manly fullback Brett Stewart was due to undergo scans on his injured knee late on Tuesday.

His initial prognosis is up to six weeks on the sidelines.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news