Wolves savage Dragons to reach final - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Wolves savage Dragons to reach final

By Tom Reynolds 09/08/2010 06:39:20 AM Comments (0)

Former New Zealand Warriors second-row forward Louis Anderson ran in a hat-trick of tries as Warrington Wolves trounced Catalans Dragons 54-12 to book their Challenge Cup final spot on Sunday.

The reigning champions were the pre-match favourites to secure their passage and Anderson's impressive hat-trick - as well as six other tries - made sure the Wolves lived up to their tag in style.

The Dragons didn't look like recovering from a nervy start which saw them 12-0 down after 12 minutes and despite grabbing a try late in both halves through former St George Illawarra full-back Clint Greenshields they were never in it.

The Wolves - who had lost to the Dragons a fortnight ago - had the best of the early exchanges and got themselves ahead after just seven minutes when Ben Harrison powered over for a try.

Harrison picked up a smart offload from former Manly halfback Michael Monaghan 15 yards out and despite the attempts of four Catalans defenders he forced his way over the line.

Ben Westwood added the extras to open up a 6-0 lead and he was in action again just four minutes later when Anderson crossed for his first.

This time Lee Briers was the architect with a perfectly judged cross-field kick that Ryan Atkins rose highest to catch and off-load to give Anderson an easy score which Westwood converted.

Matt King was the next to cross. Atkins was the creator, making a fantastic break through the Catalans defence and when the ball found its way wide King made no mistake to cross and Westwood converted.

And the rampant Wolves made it a four-try half on 32 minutes when after a flowing move Monaghan produced an opportunist kick through to present Chris Riley with the easiest score of the afternoon.

And Westwood put the icing on the cake of a vintage first-half display by adding the extras from the tightest of angles on the touch line to put the Wolves 24 points clear.

The Dragons were given a lifeline two minutes from the interval when Greenshields found his way through a gap from close range and Thomas Bosc kicked the conversion to make the half-time score 24-6.

The Wolves didn't have to wait long for their fifth try with Briers darting over the line from close range on 45 minutes after an outrageous behind the back pass from David Solomona.

Westwood made no mistake with the conversion and the Wolves were at it again after 56 minutes when Anderson spotted a gap in the Dragons defence to cross.

Westwood's converted for his sixth successful kick of the afternoon and his seventh came after substitute Richie Myler crossed to take it to 42-6.

Anderson sealed his hat-trick on 63 minutes and the procession continued ten minutes from time when Jon Clarke added the ninth score.

Greenshields grabbed his second score two minutes from time but it was no more than a consolation as the Wolves set up a showdown with Leeds Rhinos at Wembley on August 28.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2024 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news