Rodan admits worry over LARS - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Rodan admits worry over LARS

07/03/2011 06:13:46 PM Comments (0)

As the first AFL player to have radical LARS knee surgery deals with its failure, another who has had the procedure now admits he is concerned.

Port Adelaide onballer David Rodan says Sydney defender Nick Malceski's new injury has him thinking again about the long-term viability of his knee - which has twice been reconstructed using LARS.

Rodan first had surgery in late 2009 after Malceski had successfully pioneered the use in AFL of the procedure, which uses a synthetic ligament implanted in the knee.

Rodan's ligament failed in November last year, and he had a second LARS procedure.

But news last week Malceski had re-injured his knee at training and would require more surgery has Rodan worried just one game into his comeback.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any concerns, but these things you can't really help," Rodan said.

"It doesn't matter whether you have the traditional reconstruction or the LARS, there's no guarantee on either one of them."

But Rodan said he didn't regret having LARS and it remained something the 27-year-old would recommend for older players needing knee reconstructions in the late stages of their careers.

Players who have the LARS procedure can return to action within three months, as opposed to eight to 12 months using conventional knee surgery.

Rodan returned successfully in Port's 84-point belting of Geelong on Friday night and said he remained on track to play in round one of the season proper.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news