Elias heads back to TAB - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Elias heads back to TAB

By David Beniuk 24/03/2011 07:05:43 PM Comments (0)

Rugby league identity John Elias was relieved on two fronts on Thursday - he's back out on bail and he can have a bet at a TAB.

Elias had appeared in Bankstown Local Court charged with breaching his bail conditions and using a mobile phone to harass, menace or cause offence.

He was released on new bail conditions, including he make no contact with Tabcorp media manager Glenn Munsie and he stay away from the betting agency's head office.

But the former first grade player appeared most concerned about whether the ban extended to the TAB branches he uses to place bets.

"How do you have a bet?" he asked Magistrate Jacqueline Trad.

His lawyer John Galluzzo went further.

"It would be unAustralian (to stop him visiting the TAB)," Galluzzo told the court.

Police did not oppose bail and the court was told Munsie had no issue with Elias using the TAB's branches.

The next chapter in the controversial figure's life unfolded as he led the media on a wild chase through the backstreets of the southwestern Sydney suburb.

After slipping out a side door at the court house, he disappeared into the back of a local business' premises.

Munsie, his household and Tabcorp's HQ were added to a list of people and places Elias needs to avoid as part of his bail conditions.

The others are racing writer John Schell, Parramatta player Brad Murray and the Canterbury and Parramatta leagues clubs.

Elias, who has already been charged with attempting to defraud a betting agency after investigations into the infamous North Queensland-Canterbury NRL game last August, was hit with three more charges on Wednesday.

The 48-year-old spent the night locked up on a count of breaching his bail conditions, and was also charged with two counts of using a mobile phone to harass, menace or cause offence.

The new offences relate to alleged threatening text messages sent to Munsie, one reportedly calling the Tabcorp employee a "maggot".

Munsie has reportedly provided information to investigators about suspicious betting on the first points option in the Cowboys-Bulldogs match.

The contents of the alleged messages were not confirmed by court documents.

The former Canterbury, South Sydney, Wests, Easts and Balmain player was charged on March 3, along with player manager Sam Ayoub, with the alleged betting agency fraud offence.

Police allege Elias would have made $98,455 from betting on the first points in the match being a Cowboys penalty goal, a result which did not eventuate.

Former Bulldogs prop Ryan Tandy, who conceded a penalty in the second minute of the match, has pleaded not guilty to four charges of providing false or misleading information to the NSW Crime Commission.

He was sacked by the NRL club last week but says he has commenced unfair dismissal proceedings.

Elias will next appear at Downing Street Court on April 7.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news