Port rescue package weeks away: president - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Port rescue package weeks away: president

By Steve Larkin 10/06/2011 02:53:28 PM Comments (0)

Port Adelaide expect to seal a multi-million dollar rescue package from the AFL within weeks, the debt-ridden club's president Brett Duncanson says.

Duncanson, who met AFL and SANFL hierarchy in Melbourne on Friday, was confident the emergency funding would be settled within a fortnight.

The owner of Port's AFL licence, the SANFL, last week said it could not afford to keep propping up the financially-troubled Power.

The move forced Duncanson to approach the AFL for a rescue package to keep the club alive for the next three years, until a move to Adelaide Oval which is considered the financial savour for Port.

Duncanson proposed a business plan to AFL officials at Friday's meeting.

"They are very confident in that business plan, along with the SANFL," Duncanson told reporters on return to Adelaide.

"The important thing for everyone to know is this is a business plan that reflects on the best interests of football in South Australia that Port Adelaide will deliver.

"And we're very confident that the AFL and the SANFL will now buy into it."

Duncanson said there was no question Port would remain in the AFL.

"There is no issue about keeping afloat ... this is about creating a business model that creates a sustainable football club leading up to Adelaide Oval," he said.

The Power president refused to detail how much money the club needed to survive until the end of this year, amid speculation the figure could be as high as $5 million.

But he expected a final decision from the AFL commission when it meets the week after next.

"We don't have far to go at all, we believe ... we're very confident they will deliver on what we have asked for," he said.

The meeting came as Port captain Dom Cassisi downplayed the influence of the financial strife on the Power playing group, currently in 16th position with only two wins.

"The club has been transparent with the players the whole way through," Cassisi said on Friday.

"We have understood the whole way through what has been going on and the AFL Players' Association has reassured the playing group that everything is fine, so we just go on playing footy."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2020 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news