Port campaign to keep Trengove - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Port campaign to keep Trengove

Steve Larkin 08/07/2011 02:44:52 PM Comments (0)

Port Adelaide coach Matthew Primus has embarked on an aggressive campaign to stop emerging AFL defender Jackson Trengove returning to Victoria.

The 20-year-old Trengove, out of contract at season's end, has a host of Victorian clubs pitching lucrative offers to join them.

Richmond are believed to be the leading contenders as Trengove admits being torn between loyalty to Port and returning to his family in Melbourne.

"He has just got a decision to make between playing for this club and getting back to his family," Primus said on Friday.

"Hopefully we will be in his face about that and turn him around."

Port wanted Trengove's signature on a new deal long ago, but the key defender - who can also pinch-hit in the ruck - has put off contract talks until near the end of the season.

Primus hinted Port could play hard-ball with Trengove, who this year became the youngest ever member of the Power's leaderdship group.

"It is pretty hard nowadays to get yourself to the club of your choice," Primus said.

"But all we can do is show Jackson what we're planning next year and the year after that and where he fits into all that - he's well aware of all that."

Trengove is managed by Tom Petroro, who also caters for Port onballer Travis Boak - a Victorian who last year rejected offers to return home.

"We would love him (Trengove) to have signed a long time before this," Primus said.

"But we went through it last year with Travis and I think it's the same manager, so it will play out.

"I will reiterate again, Jackson is a pretty important player to this club ... we hope we can sign him sooner rather than later."

Port also fear Wangaratta-raised Alipate Carlile could leave, with new entity Greater Western Sydney keen on luring the 24-year-old fullback.

"Obviously the two big ones are Jackson and Carlile so we certainly make them aware of how important they are to us," Primus said.

"They have got some important decisions to make.

"They are both interstate guys, but we think we've given them a pretty good start to their careers here.

"And while there's a bit of doom and gloom about the place at the moment, there is some real light coming.

"We know where we want to go and the path we are heading down and they both have pretty big futures in that.

"So I'd like to think we will keep all our group here but you never know what is going to happen over the next six or seven weeks."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news