White weighs Storm, Sydney NRL offers - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

White weighs Storm, Sydney NRL offers

By David Beniuk and Todd Balym 24/05/2007 08:00:39 PM Comments (0)

NSW Origin prop Brett White is no certainty to remain at Melbourne next year and could link with a Sydney-based NRL club.

White confirmed that recent reports he had re-signed with the Storm had jumped the gun and said he had at least one other option in the NRL.

The tying up of loose ends with the Storm has now dragged on for a week and White said he'd be making an announcement on his future sometime next week.

"We're not far off that," White told AAP of a deal with Melbourne.

"I've ruled out going to England but the possibility of coming to Sydney's still there.

"What we'll come up with is an announcement next week."

White was far from happy with the game-time he received in his Origin debut as the Blues were dealt a shattering 25-18 loss to Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.

"(It was) a bit disappointing I guess, I haven't spoken to (coach) Graham (Murray) about it, whether that was the way he wanted to go about things or whether it was just the bleeding," he said after spending much of the match with blood streaming from his nose.

But he was hopeful of retaining his place in the dominated Blues pack for Origin II at Telstra Stadium in three weeks.

"There's options for them, it's good for NSW and it's good for me personally because I've got to work hard now and I'll go away and do that," he said.

Meanwhile, White's Storm front-row partner Antonio Kaufusi has refused to give up hope of playing again this season, despite club officials claiming he would miss the rest of 2007 with a knee injury.

The Queensland prop ruptured the patella tendon in his right knee, and raced home for immediate surgery after his dream Origin debut turned into a nightmare.

The loss of the 112kg rampaging forward is a huge blow to the Storm, who this week had damaging backrower Michael Crocker ruled out for three months with a serious shoulder injury which also requires surgery.

But Kaufusi, 22, is determined to play again in 2007 and said he will be doing all within his power to make himself available for the NRL finals.

"I go back to Melbourne today and get an operation tonight," Kaufusi said.

"Depending on how this operation goes I will be doing my best to get back out there.

"I'm pretty sure we'll make the semis and if I can get myself right at the back end of the season I might be in the frame for those games."

Kaufusi suffered the injury in an innocuous Jamie Lyon tackle in the 49th minute when the Maroons were trailing 18-6.

He missed Queensland's remarkable comeback to steal victory, his heartbreaking injury ending what had been a whirlwind week for the Tongan-born player.

Called into the squad as 18th man on Monday, Kaufusi gained a start on Tuesday morning when North Queensland Cowboy Carl Webb failed a fitness test on his hamstring.

"That's footy for you. I went from the highest of highs of playing and getting the big buzz to doing this knee.

"I can't complain really."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news