Gallen investigation continuing: police - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Gallen investigation continuing: police

30/10/2007 07:14:59 PM Comments (0)

Police say investigations are continuing into the alleged assault of a man by Cronulla rugby league player Paul Gallen.

Gallen was interviewed by police and the NRL club after an incident outside the 2230 restaurant/bar in Cronulla at 1.30am Monday.

Cameron Davies alleged he was attacked by Gallen and said he wanted the NSW Origin forward charged.

Gallen, who was in hospital on Tuesday for shoulder surgery on a rugby-league related injury, claimed the drama only erupted because he was trying to protect his brother Steve.

The Sharks said Gallen went to the see the police on Monday night to get the matter sorted.

He was interviewed and released, but police told AAP the investigation would continue.

The club also confirmed that a man contacted the club after the incident, asking for $50,000 for the matter to be resolved.

"There was an approach made by a third party," chief executive Tony Zappia told the Seven Network.

Asked whether the club would act on the threat Zappia said he would see where it went with the police.

Gallen told The Daily Telegraph Davies was "mouthing off" at his younger brother before "mouthing off" at him.

"He turned around and grabbed me and threw a punch. I headlocked him and threw him to the ground," Gallen said.

"If I get charged, then I get charged but I did nothing wrong except stick up for Steve.

"I'd do the same thing next week. He's my little brother and you always help out."

Gallen's manager David Riolo said: "Paul is very disappointed that the whole incident happened and I guess it's a lesson for him that you just can't afford to be involved in anything of this like."

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2024 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news