Matt Henjak in strife again with Force - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Matt Henjak in strife again with Force

11/02/2008 10:07:02 PM Comments (0)

Matt Henjak's rugby career has again been thrown into turmoil after an investigation was launched into how Western Force teammate Haig Sare's jaw was broken during an altercation between the pair.

The Force were literally dealt a blow on the eve of the Super 14 season with both players having already been named in the squad to travel to South Africa on Tuesday for a three-game tour.

Winger Sare was absent from training on Monday evening after suffering the injury during an altercation with Henjak at a pub on Sunday.

An inquiry was launched by the club hierarchy late on Monday.

Whether Henjak would be on the flight to South Africa on Tuesday was still to be decided, with Sare's withdrawal almost certain.

Coach John Mitchell refused to comment, saying he was due to give a press conference on Tuesday morning before the scheduled flight to South Africa.

A club spokesman said no more information would be released on Monday night other than what was in the Rugby WA statement.

"The altercation has left one player requiring medical attention for a suspected broken jaw," it said.

"It has been confirmed that no member of the public was involved in the incident.

"RugbyWA views the incident as an internal but serious matter and an investigation has been commenced."

The fracas, understood to have taken place in the Left Bank cafe bar and restaurant in East Fremantle, is the latest setback to Henjak's career.

The halfback was sent home from a Wallabies tour of South Africa in disgrace in 2005 after officials found he had thrown ice at a group of students in a Cape Town nightclub.

And late last year it was reported the Perth-based franchise secretly paid a South African national $15,000 - who then subsequently dropped police charges and a civil case over an alleged assault.

That incident was reported to have occurred in a South African nightclub while Henjak was on tour with the ACT Brumbies in 2004.

An outstanding legal matter would have created difficulties for Henjak to play in the Force's Super 14 matches in South Africa as he could have been sought for questioning by South African police.

The latest incident completes a miserable pre-season for the Force, who have seen their chief executive Peter O'Meara leave on top of a falling membership mainly due to fan dissatisfaction with Subiaco Oval.

Scott Fava and teammate Richard Brown were also fined after being found guilty by the club of being drunk in public, anti-social behaviour and inappropriately handling quokkas during a team bonding session on Rottnest Island.

Despite the club admitting one quokka had been thrown - and eye witness accounts of animals being swung by the tail during the drunken Friday night - the Force insisted no animal had been harmed.

Fava, who has been disciplined twice before by the Force for alcohol-related issues, was ordered to pay the Rottnest Island Conservation Foundation $11,000 for throwing a quokka up to five metres, and handling others.

Brown was fined $5,000 and also given a weeks community service.

Both players apologised, with Fava admitting he was seeking treatment for a binge-drinking problem.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news