Webb of intrigue as UK move sours - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Webb of intrigue as UK move sours

By Laine Clark 18/06/2009 08:30:36 PM Comments (0)

An open-minded approach to North Queensland enforcer Carl Webb's mooted UK move is "beginning to close a bit", Cowboys boss Peter Parr says.

While the Cowboys are hopeful of re-signing form prop Matt Scott in the coming weeks, they have all but closed the door on letting Webb move to England.

The Cowboys have always said they would consider releasing Webb from the final year of his contract if interested English Super League club Wigan tabled an offer.

But the silence has been deafening from Wigan since their chairman Ian Lenagan visited Townsville to watch Webb play last month.

Clearly time is running out for Wigan if they want Webb.

"I said to Carl that if he did receive an offer from Wigan we would be happy to sit down and talk it through with them and have an open mind," Parr said.

"But there's no offer forthcoming as yet.

"To be honest the longer it goes the less likely we would be looking at it favourably.

"If we were to let Carl go we would want a player of similar calibre to take his place.

"The longer it goes the less chances of us doing that.

"Our open mind is beginning to close a bit."

But Parr added: "I'm pretty relaxed about the situation - at the end of the day we want him to play here next year."

Parr was the first to admit Webb had endured a "slow start" to the 2009 season compounded by being dropped to Queensland Cup for being late to training.

But Parr could not speak highly enough of Webb's current form.

"He's getting back to what he is capable of doing," he said.

"I know he is doing everything in his power to turn his form around.

"In the past when Carl didn't play particularly well there have been some reasons for that away from footy, but these days his fitness is good."

Parr conceded it was unlikely that the Cowboys would be able to retain all of their other form forwards Scott, Shane Tronc and Scott Bolton with 23 players already signed for 2010.

But he was confident Scott - Queensland's 18th man for Origin I - would be secured.

Scott has revealed he hopes to remain at the Cowboys, and was keen to sign a three year contract extension.

"One of the dramas he (Scott) has had throughout his career is putting together a consistent period of football," Parr said.

"But that has been no fault of his own, injuries have played a part in that.

"Now that he has done that (Cowboys coach) Neil (Henry) is getting comfortable with offering him something."

The Cowboys - minus their Origin stars Johnathan Thurston, Willie Tonga and Luke O'Donnell - take on the Sydney Roosters at Townsville on Saturday night.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2021 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news