Perth Glory draw ends in punch-up - Sports News - Fanatics - the world's biggest events

Perth Glory draw ends in punch-up

By Chris Pike 28/12/2006 11:38:28 PM Comments (0)

Perth Glory's 0-0 draw with Adelaide United has been overshadowed by Perth midfielder Adrian Webster launching an amazing attack on his captain Jamie Harnwell.

With Perth's season over after the drawn result and Perth players thanking more than eight thousand home fans at Members Equity Stadium, Webster walked up to Harnwell, pushed him in the face and threw two punches, which missed.

Coach Ron Smith immediately ran in to break up the altercation and pulled the fired-up Webster away from his captain.

The draw puts an end to Perth's slim finals chances, as it needed to win all four remaining games.

The draw also keeps Adelaide out of Central Coast's reach for another week.

In the Reds' first game without Romario, Fernando looked the most likely player to score on the pitch right until the final whistle, but failed to drill home any of his opportunities.

Perth's chances received a big blow before kick-off with Stan Lazaridis not even taking his place on the bench and another blow came when Naum Sekulovski dislocated his shoulder 31 minutes in.

He was immediately taken to the rooms and substituted for Luka Glavas.

Fernando had some great chances to open the games scoring.

In just the second minute he pushed a shot wide, missed a golden chance 10 minutes later when he blew a three-on-two Adelaide advantage and then a fierce shot from the Brazilian was well saved by Glory keeper Tom Tomich at the 43-minute mark.

In the second part of the opening half Perth improved and had some chances themselves, but Fernando wasn't the only Adelaide player to have a chance to score.

Carl Veart had a headed chance from a corner and then later in the half made the best strike of the game to that point, but was well stopped by Tomich.

Perth Glory's best chance was possibly from Sekulovski after a great cross from Mark Lee, but Sekulovski miscued it.

Harnwell was moved back into defence, but managed to sneak forward for three chances in a five-minute period, but none managed to get into the back of the net.

It was a quiet start to the second half and both coaches looked to reinvigorate their sides with substitutes.

Stuart Young came on for Perth and Bobby Petta for Adelaide. Fernando once again had the best chance of the second half, but his shot on goal was just narrow on 60 minutes.

Perth had the only three legal on-target shots of the second half, but none seriously threatened to get past Daniel Beltrame.

Glavas had the chance to snatch the victory for the Glory just before stoppage time, but his header went straight into the waiting arms of Beltrame.

On the last play of the game, Fernando had one final shot on goal with a header, but was again wide.

Brought to you by AAP AAP © 2022 AAP

0 Comments about this article

Post a comment about this article

Please sign in to leave a comment.
Becoming a member is free and easy, sign up here.

« All sports news